8 Essential Tools for Home DIY Projects

essential tools for home

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.

Whether you’re remodeling your home or you’re making a few simple repairs, what will you do? Call the professionals or DIY?

Statistics show that only 41% of the population would call in for professional help. While the other 59% would try DIY.

The key to a successful DIY project is a well-stocked toolbox. But what are the essential tools for home DIY projects? Read on for 8 of the best tools to own.

Are you ready? Roll up your sleeves and get to work!

Essential Tools for Home DIY Projects

Before you start any DIY project, you need to stop and ask yourself, “what tools do I need?” Some projects may need more advanced tools than others. But for the basic tools for home, these next 8 tools will do the trick.

1. Hammer

The number 1 essential tool is the humble hammer. You need it to assemble furniture, to put up pictures, and for other handy jobs. You can also use a hammer for anything that needs a good strong whack, such as demolishing something.

IRWIN Hammer, Fiberglass, General Purpose, Claw, 16 oz. (1954889)

2. Tape Measure

Measure twice, cut once!

Accurate measurements are essential in DIY projects. That’s why one of the must-have tools is a tape measure.

3. Screwdriver

A screwdriver is one of the most basic tools for home, as you will use it for many things. From attaching casters to furniture pieces to fixing the cabinet doors in your kitchen. Many things in your home are simply attached with screws.

You can buy a single multi-bit screwdriver so you’re ready to deal with any shape or size screws.

4. Wrench

When home items don’t have screws or nails, what are the best tools to own? You need a wrench to tighten and loosen bolts. An adjustable wrench is the best option, as you can alter the size to grip nuts of various sizes.

This will also come in handy when repairing your vehicle.

5. Scraper

A scraper or putty knife is an essential tool that you can use for several different jobs. For example, scraping off wallpaper, smoothing down putty, or removing caulk around a window frame.

6. Pliers

One of the best tools to own when doing DIY is a handy pair of pliers. Quite often you’ll need to grasp onto something to pull or turn it. While your fingers may not be strong enough, a pair of pliers will do the trick.

For instance, loosening nuts, straightening metal, pulling out nails, and more.

7. Handsaw

A saw is one of the basic tools for home. Especially if you are planning some woodwork or need to cut plastic pipes. A power saw can be pretty dangerous, but a handsaw is more manageable for the DIY newbie.

8. Safety Gear

And last, but not least, is to equip yourself with some safety gear. Here are a few essential tools for safety purposes:

  • Gloves
  • Goggles
  • Mask
  • Hardhat

There are other safety tools worthy of consideration too. But it all depends on how advanced your project is.

A Poor Workman Blames His Tools

Now you know the essential tools for home DIY projects, you can get started.

But it’s not enough to have all the essential tools you need. You also need to learn how to use them properly. So before you start any home renovations, take a look at the rest of our blog for more DIY tips and how-to guides.