Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
In This Post:
1. Research Different Types of Garage Doors
There are various types of garage doors available, including traditional tilt-up doors, sectional roll-up doors, and modern carriage-style doors. Each type has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to do some research to determine which one would best suit your needs and budget.
- Traditional Tilt-up Doors – Tilt-up doors are the most basic type of garage door and are typically the least expensive option.
- Sectional Roll-up Doors – Sectional roll-up doors are more popular because they take up less space in the garage and are more energy-efficient than tilt-up doors.
- Modern Carriage-style Doors – Carriage-style doors are a newer type of garage door that mimic the look of a traditional carriage house door. They are more expensive than other types of garage doors but can add a lot of curb appeal to your home.
2. Measure the Dimensions of Your Current Garage Door
Before you can order a new garage door, you’ll need to measure the dimensions of your current door. This includes the width, height, and thickness of the door, as well as the size of the opening. It’s important to get accurate measurements so that the new door will fit properly.
3. Look for a Reputable Garage Door Supplier or Contractor
Once you’ve decided on the type of garage door you want, it’s time to find a reputable supplier or contractor to purchase and install the new door. There are many garage door suppliers and contractors that can be found online, or by searching in the phonebook. You can also ask for recommendations from friends or family who have recently had a garage door installed.
- Check Professional Qualifications
- Check Warranties
- Check Insurance
4. Get Quotes and Compare Prices
Once you’ve found a few suppliers or contractors that you’re interested in working with, be sure to get quotes from each of them. Compare the prices, the warranties, and the services that they offer to find the best deal.
5. Choose a Supplier or Contractor and Schedule Installation
After you’ve compared prices and services, choose the supplier or contractor that you feel most comfortable working with. Schedule a date and time for the installation of the new door.
- Consider the material of the garage door – The most common materials used for garage doors are steel, wood, aluminum and composite. Each material has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. For example, steel is the most popular and the most affordable material, but it can rust over time. Wood is an elegant and classic option, but it requires more maintenance and is more expensive than other options. Aluminum is lightweight and easy to maintain, but it can dent easily. Composite is the most modern option, it is a mix of wood and plastic and is very strong, durable and requires low maintenance.
- Choose a licensed and insured contractor – When choosing a garage door contractor, it is important to ensure that they are licensed and insured. This will ensure that the job will be done safely and properly, and will also protect you from liability in case of an accident. It’s also important to ask about warranties, so that you can be protected in case of any issues with the door after installation.
By following these steps, you’ll be able to find the right garage door for your home and have it installed by a reputable contractor. It’s important to do your research, compare prices, and choose a contractor who is licensed, insured, and offers a warranty for their work. Additionally, it is important to consider the material of the garage door, as each one has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, in order to ensure that your garage door not only looks good but also performs well and lasts for a long time.