Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Insomnia is a sleep problem that affects millions of adults across the world. According to the National Institutes of Health around 30% of the population in the US complains of sleep disruption, and approximately 10% have symptoms of daytime impairment related to insomnia.
Detoxification is an effective solution to this problem that eliminates the accumulated toxins from the body. It works by making minor changes to your diet or detox supplements.
Not only is it known to improve the quality of your sleep but also enhances overall health. But how does this really happen? Let’s find out.
In This Post:
Detoxification and Sleep: What’s the relation?
The continuous build-up of toxins in the body due to the consumption of unhealthy food, alcohol, or drugs disrupts the sleep cycle along with normal functioning.
If you are an avid drug user, you are likely to have trouble falling asleep. This is because consuming too much marijuana or other drugs can make you anxious, which further leads to problems like insomnia. As a result, you feel fatigued, stressed, and are less alert during the day.
To restore the normal sleep pattern, these toxins need to be flushed out of the system. This process is known as detoxification.
It is important to get adequate sleep for the body’s rejuvenation and the natural detoxification system. While you are asleep, your brain and body get to rest and recharge themselves. This helps in the removal of toxic molecules from the brain through cerebrospinal fluid (CSF).
Also, it is believed that if a person wakes up every night at the same time while on a detox, it is because there is a lack of nutrient reserves to complete the process. This, in turn, disturbs the sleep pattern. Therefore, the body needs proper detoxification support to get peaceful and quality sleep at night.
Detoxification and its effect on sleep: What does the research say?
Research shows that the process of detoxification happens while you are asleep. The physical healing happens during the first four hours of the sleep (from 10 pm to 2 am). The last four hours of sleep help in psychological healing (from 2 am to 6 am).
A 2018 study, ‘The Effect of Detoxification on Sleep’ was performed for two weeks where a detoxification treatment was given to people who suffered from poor quality sleep due to the consumption of excessive alcohol.
As a result, sleep quality improved in 61% of the patients. But the sleep disturbances persisted in two-thirds of the patients.
Ways to Detox and Sleep Better
The best way to enhance the quality of your sleep is to detox naturally. This includes making minor changes in your lifestyle for the detox to work better. Here’s what all you can do to get a restorative sleep at night:
- Have a low carb dinner: You should have a light meal with low carbs and sugar. Add protein and healthy vegetables to your diet. Avoid caffeine as it works as a stimulant and can keep you awake at night.
- Increase your water intake: To eliminate the toxins from the body, you need to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. Avoid drinking too much water before bedtime so you don’t have to go to the bathroom at night frequently.
- Add exercise to your evening routine: Try to indulge in light exercises like aerobics or go for long walks in the evening. You can also do breathing exercises in yoga and meditation to reduce stress and declutter your mind. This will help improve the quality of your sleep.
- Avoid alcohol with dinner: Most of us like to have a nice glass of wine with dinner. Alcohol can disrupt your sleep as it affects melatonin production. It also hinders the digestion process and causes discomfort at night.
- Avoid using a phone before bed: The blue-light emitting devices affect your biological clock and nighttime melatonin production. This leads to a disturbed sleep pattern.
- Take a bath before sleeping: A pre-bedtime shower after a long tiring day can help relieve all the stress and fatigue. It is known to induce a good night’s sleep. You can add some Epsom salt in the tub for better results.
- Use a detox drink to flush toxins: A good detoxifying product can help you remove metabolites and free radicals quicker. For example, XXtra Clean cleansing drink from Detoxify is such a product.
As you read above, a simple detox can work wonders for your body and sleep pattern. It is beneficial for your overall physical and mental wellness.
Let your brain rest without any stress to eliminate the toxins. This reduces the risk of diseases like Alzheimer’s that happen due to sleep deprivation.
Other than this, you need to stick to a sleeping schedule for the detox to work better. This will keep your cardiac rhythms and body clock in balance. Both the quantity and quality of your sleep matter to keep your brain and body fit. Happy snoozing!