Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Are you planning to renovate your house or decide to update the interior and calculate how much the work will cost and what you can save on? Today we will tell you how to save money on repairs and share some life hacks that will help you keep a part of the planned expenses in your wallet.
It is better to spend this money on a trip where you can take a sport car rental for little money and drive along the sea coast. Rental services have a wide selection of cars for every taste, color, and budget, so you will definitely not be left without the opportunity to experience the real pleasure of seeing new landscapes from a rented supercar.
To begin with, we suggest deciding what you can generally save on during repairs, but so that it is not at the expense of quality.
In This Post:
1. Building Materials
We do not recommend buying all the cheapest, but you can buy good, high-quality goods without overpaying for promoted brands. This is especially true for foreign companies. In this case, the savings is more than 25%.
As in the case of materials, there is no need to overpay for the brand. And in general, buying a drill or a hammer drill for a few hundred dollars to use for a few days and hiding in a distant closet is strange. After all, you can ask a neighbor or rent.
Yes, after the construction there is a lot of garbage, but this is not a reason to immediately call a cleaning company. After all, you can do everything yourself. Yes, it will take a lot of time, but it will leave a few thousand more in the wallet.
4. Ceiling and Floor Finish
It is not necessary to immediately buy expensive tiles and Italian parquet. For starters, you can pick up a good and inexpensive laminate and locally-made tiles.
5. Replace Wallpaper With Paint
This will allow you to quickly update the walls and will cost several times cheaper.
6. Explore the Range of Online Stores
As practice shows, the prices there are much lower than in retail stores.
Important! Measure the room in advance and buy materials exactly as much as you need. There is no need to stock up for future use because it often happens that after repairs there are mountains of building materials that are then simply thrown away.
And one more tip – ask your friends about discounts in large hardware stores. Even a 10% discount will help save part of the family budget.
Perhaps there is no single answer to the question of how to save money on the overhaul of an apartment. But there are some simple tips that can help keep a few thousand in your wallet.
- Forget about buying materials for the future. We buy exactly as much as you need and not a roll of wallpaper more.
- Do not forget about the golden rule: in summer, repairs are many times more expensive than in winter. Therefore, set aside money and construction for the winter period.
- Price monitoring. You don’t have to buy everything from the first store you see. Take a few days and look through all the offers on the market. Rest assured, this will save hundreds of dollars.
When Is Saving Unreasonable?
In search of what you can save on when repairing an apartment, we often make mistakes, trying to buy everything cheaper. But there are a number of goods and services that absolutely cannot be saved on if we want to get a high-quality end result.
So, you can not save:
- Heating and water supply. Due to burst pipes, you will have to do repairs again (at least change the flooring)
- Lamps, sockets, switches. The electricity of questionable quality can be a fire hazard. In defective fixtures, bulbs will burn more often.
- On windows and doors, as they help keep the heat in the room and save on heating bills.
- On plumbing. It is better to buy a quality one, yes, it will cost more, but it will last up to 10 years. While the simplest crane will work for no more than three years.
Guided by the above tips, it will be possible to reduce repair costs without loss of quality. The main thing is not to save on everything so that you do not have to redo the work.