Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Leather is the choicest material when it comes to sofa and other household furniture. The reason for this is not far-fetched, as leather is an aesthetically pleasing material, which is timeless and very durable. Another important quality of the leather is that it is quite easy to clean. However, like every other material, it is crucial to clean leather upholstery cleaning properly to preserve its quality and ensure its durability. Below are five important steps on how to clean a leather sofa.
Required Tools to Clean Your Leather Sofa
Some important tools are needed to get the best result after cleaning.
- Gentle Soap
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Soft Cloths
- White Vinegar
- Leather Cream
The Cleaning Process
The five steps to clean your leather sofa in the best way are as follows:
- Wipe Any Physical Dirt Away: The first step is to pick and wipe any dirt on the sofa. This could include crumbs, food particles as well as liquid substances on the surface of the sofa. The purpose of this is to avoid rubbing this dirt into the sofa and causing a permanent stain. The brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner is a good option to wipe down dirt from your leather sofa. A soft piece of clothing will also get the job done.
- Make A Cleaning Solution: When it comes to cleaning leather furniture, it is best to use a mild cleaning solution for the best result. This is why a cleaning solution made with household products is a great option. With mild soap, warm water and white vinegar, you can create an effective cleaning solution for your leather sofa. Mix white vinegar and warm water of equal quantity into a spray bottle. Add a few drops of mild soap to the solution, and you have the perfect cleaning solution.
- Test Your Cleaning Solution: The next thing to do, after creating the cleaning solution is to test its effectiveness. Do this, by applying the solution to a small section of the leather sofa. If it takes stains out with no discoloration, then you are good to go.
- Clean The Entire Leather Sofa Using A Soft Cloth: Cleaning the leather sofa properly is the next step to take. To do this, you need your cleaning solution, as well as two pieces of cloth. One of the clothes will be used to clean the sofa, while the other for drying. When cleaning, be sure to not get too much water on the cloth to avoid soaking the sofa. Clean the sofa from top to bottom, moving your hand in a firm but gentle motions.
- Apply Leather Cream: Leather cream serves as a conditioner, restoring your sofa to its original supple state. Apply your leather cream, after cleaning the sofa for the best result. It should be noted that leather cream is meant to be used only once in six months.
Hiring a professional service to clean your leather sofa is also a reliable option.